Shuffle currently has multiple internship positions available in the following areas:
- Marketing/Promotion reps (all areas of NC & SC)
- Graphic Design
- Digital Media/Web Design
If you’re interested, please read what’s below for more details and instructions on how to apply.
Shuffle offers unpaid internships geared toward college students who are looking to fulfill their internship requirements and will receive course credit for their work. There are no set work hours. We may occasionally ask you to cover a specific show or be available to perform tasks in conjunction with our magazine release dates. Other than that, you make your own schedule.
Since we cover all of North and South Carolina, we’re happy to accept applications from any school or location within the Carolinas.
Each internship program is broken down by semester: Fall (roughly August-December), Spring (roughly January-May) and Summer (roughly June-August). Requests for each semester should be sent to us before the end of the prior semester. Details on what to send to us are below.
We’ll work with each successful candidate to ensure our internship meets both your specific date and course requirements. We’re also happy to work with school faculty to complete any paperwork they need.
Once you’re on board, we’ll work with you to develop an outline for your internship that will include a specific list of assignments and how we’d like for you to communicate your work to us. We’ll also agree on a start and end date that fits your schedule.
General Internship Requirements:
- Be over 18 with access to reliable transportation, phone, a computer and email.
- Know your local music scene, including the local businesses (venues, stores, bars, etc.) that cater to it.
- Know what we do. If you’ve made it this far you should be familiar with what we (and what we don’t) cover in Shuffle.
- Have your shit together. Most work will be done without direct supervision so we’re looking for candidates who are good communicators, motivated, and capable of completing the tasks we assign.
- Be prepared to represent Shuffle well. We’re looking for good people who have a solid reputation in their music scene and are able to represent Shuffle well to our fans and to the people we do business with.
- No agendas. You should come to us with an open mind; ready to roll up your sleeves, contribute and learn about what we do. While we maintain an open door when it comes to our content conversations, all editorial and business decisions we make are merit-based so no room for politics or pet projects.
In return, we promise a solid internship experience working within a unique environment with a group of people dedicated to independent music. No fetching coffee, no bullshit. You’ll think, learn and contribute to what we do. Most of us started as interns and we consider it part of our mission to grow good people within our music scene just as we hope to help grow good bands.
If all of this works for you, here’s how to apply:
Send an email containing your name, contact info, location (Carolinas only) and the school you attend along with a brief description of why you’d like to be a Shuffle intern to Publisher/GM Brian Cullinan at Brian@Shufflemag.com.
Once we receive and review your email, you’ll hear back from us prior to the end of the current application period regarding next steps.
Marketing/Promotion interns act as our eyes and ears in their local music scene. In this role you’ll work to identify and report back to us on bands, businesses, and distribution locations of potential interest to Shuffle. We’ll also work together to construct promotional endeavors for the magazine as live shows and magazine release parties.
Photography and/or Video Interns work with us to document their local music scene by compiling a portfolio of images collected throughout the semester from live shows and occasional studio settings.
Visual content is a big part of what we do at Shuffle. Whether it’s our magazine pages, display ads, show flyers, promotional merchandise, or graphic content for our website, there’s plenty of room for talented interns to work with us and add to your design portfolio.
Digital Media/Web Design
If you’re studying web design, web management/optimization, database construction, or email/social media campaign management, we’re happy to talk to you about structuring an internship that will put those skills to use in helping to build our growing web presence.